Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What Should You Share and What Should You Save?

This is a question that I've been asking myself a lot lately.  I used to post to Flickr a lot of what I had photographed that day.  I've been using Flickr on and off since 2006 and I love it.  I love looking at the photos that other people have taken.  I love the interaction between other members. It's a great place to pass a few hours.  There are so many talented people there that you could spend all day there and never run out of fascinating pictures to see.

I think part of the problem is that when you have a good day of shooting, it's difficult to pick and choose which photos to post and which ones to keep for yourself.  If you're like me, you'll wish you had chosen differently no matter which photos you chose to post.  (Much like decisions made in life.  Ha ha.)  You want people to see really good photos, but you don't want to post all the best photos and then when you are selling something to a client (if you sell your pictures), the best photos you have are already on the internet somewhere.

Another thing is if you have multiple accounts (Flickr, blog, Instagram, Facebook page, etc.) it becomes even more difficult to choose which photos you should post.  Should you post one photo on each account?  Should it be a different photo or would it be acceptable to post the same photo to each account?  For my photography, I only have two places where I post.  My Flickr page and my blog.  This is one of my favorite pictures that I have posted on both my flickr page and here:
























 I tend to post more pictures to my Flickr page than to my blog because on Flickr I don't feel like my photos need to tell a story or be relevant to one particular topic.  With my blog, I feel like the pictures illustrate the point that I'm trying to make about whatever I happen to be writing.  I'm working on a few projects at the moment, so even though I still take as many photos as I used to, my habits of posting the majority of what I've taken (specifically to Flickr) has gone down a bit.

Here's a photo I've kept to myself for a while.  It may not be the best photo I've ever taken but it just struck me as odd and that is why I had to capture the moment.  I was walking through Tompkins Square Park and it was a nice day outside, so of course there were a lot more people to photograph.



So what are your ideas on posting photos?  Do you generally stick to one photo or do you post a series?  Do you post the same photo to each account or do you try to provide some variety?  Also, what are your reasons for either keeping the photos to yourself or posting them?

No comments:

Post a Comment