Friday, April 11, 2014

To Edit or Not To Edit

I finally caved and bought Photoshop.  I know that as photographers/amateur photographers, we should be well versed in any kind of program that will make our photography better.  I was always opposed to editing my photos.  I felt that if there was something in them that ruined the photo, I would rather get rid of the photo rather than alter it and remove the object.  I would just try to get a better photo next time.  I think my being opposed to editing was brought on by seeing overly edited photos.  It was almost like seeing a completely different photo than whatever it was that originally caught the photographer's eye.

All of this changed for me when I was out taking photos in the Bronx.  I went to so many places in the Bronx the week that this picture was taken, but I'm almost positive it was in Woodlawn.  I was walking down the street and walked past a cemetery.  After a while, I passed by a beautiful house which I could only assume was the caretaker's house.  I took this picture across the street, right by a gas station.

























An absolutely gorgeous house ruined by an ugly yellow pole.  Since I had never really edited my photos in any major way, I never had the need for Photoshop, but as the days passed by, it started to gnaw at me.  That ugly pole looked so out of place.  So today I finally gave in and bought Photoshop Elements 12.  This is the result:






















I think it looks much better.  I also removed the sign that was hanging on the gate.  Now I'm not saying that this is a good Photoshop by any means, but I'd say that for my first time doing this kind of editing, that it isn't bad.  I like how now when I see this picture, I focus on the house rather than the other distracting elements.  I still don't want to do any major edits on my photos, but a little fine tuning here and there doesn't hurt.

What are your feelings on editing photos?  Do you do some corrections here and there or are you opposed to editing in any form?

4 comments:

  1. Tina, I think you know very well what my philosophy on editing photos are, since I sent you the church photo after I edited it.
    Now, I'll comment on this photo. Be aware of of what's in your frame. When you took the photo, did you see the yellow post? Since you were walking, wouldn't it have been easier to walk up to the post and use it as a rest? Everything that we do to make sure that we compose the photo right in the first place, as well as exposure and lighting, saves us that much more time in having to edit the photo later on.
    However, in a case like the sign on the fence, there is very little that you can do about it, unless you wanted to physically cross the street, remove it, take the photo and then replace it. Someone might not appreciate that.
    But, don't forget, editing can be fun, as well. But, you need to learn the program, so I offer this link to you.

    http://tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop-elements/

    Adobe has a lot of information, and also, many Photoshop techniques also work for Elements as well, Consider, as your next purchase, Lightroom 5. It fits very nicely along side of Photoshop, any version, and does some pretty amazing things on it's own.

    I think you did a great job on this.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gary. I appreciate the link. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos as well because it's helpful to me to see how something is done. I wish I could have moved closer so that the post wouldn't have been in the way, and I even tried doing that, but then the house would have been cut off at the sides. I wouldn't have minded the pole being in the shot if it wasn't bright yellow. If it had been a dingy color, I think it could have worked with the picture as a whole, but the brightness of the post against the muted tones of the house and sky just bugged me. Thanks for reading and commenting!!

      Delete
    2. Tina, I have another reply for you. A lot of times when I'm doing just little touch ups, I'll use my mouse, but with something like this, I want something a bit more accurate and easy to use. I have a 12" diagonal drawing tablet I bought off of ebay a few years ago. It has a drawing area of 10" x 6.25", and with the 'Navigator' in Photoshop, you'll be able to zoom in and center whatever area of your photo you're working on.

      A quick glance through ebay shows this:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X6-25-Inches-Graphic-Drawing-Tablet-/151260030508?pt=US_Graphics_Tablets_Boards_Pens&hash=item2337cce62c

      This will give you better control and some options to think about.

      Gary

      Delete
    3. Thank you very much for the suggestion. I had no idea such a thing even existed. I will definitely have to fit that in the budget for the future.

      Delete